The Royal Hotel is the spot where Dr. Stark was mortally wounded by a Long Tom shell whilst talking to journalist McHugh in the doorway. The base of this shell is cemented into the pavement.
No. 16 Poort Road was General Sir George White's HQ until it was struck by a shell on 22nd December 1899.
The Town Hall served as a hospital but despite a large red cross flag, was still shelled on several occasions. The Convent was directly in the line of fire from the besieging Boer forces and after several direct hits the nuns were evacuated to the Intombi Hospital.
After the siege, the building was used by General Buller as his HQ. There is a walkabout/driveabout that identifies more than eighty sites of historical interest. Brochures are available from the Siege Museum.
The Blockhouse Museum is a private collection of siege memorabilia, Boer War and Anglo/Zulu War artefacts in a replica of a British blockhouse and it is well worth a visit. The MOTH Museum also has a collection of military memorabilia (0361) 23762.
The Cultural Centre in Keat St. houses a Jungle/Discovery room for kids, a Ladysmith achievers room, the Ladysmith Black Mambazo Hall, an art gallery and a conference room.
The town has also been famous in recent times for its frequent flooding by the Klip River. A magnificent dam has been constructed some 4km outside Ladysmith. The dam has been named 'Qedusizi' - 'the end of suffering'.
Close to the town in neutral territory Intombi hospital was established. A Garden of Remembrance commemorates the 700 soldiers and civilians that are buried here.
Not far from Ladysmith is Danskraal Farm where the Voortrekkers camped prior to the Battle of Blood River. It is also here where they reputedly made their vow to build a church should they defeat the Zulus.
The Soofie Mosque is rated as one of the most beautiful mosques in the world.
Ladysmith's Artistic Electricity Substations
Ladysmith is blessed with an array electrical substations of a wide variety of architectural types - so much so that there is a trail on which visitors may make the most of them.
There is also a drive/walk trail that takes visitors past many of the town's murals. These have brightened up many previously unoccupied spaces and have been painted by local school children, university students and art students. Themes cover such things as overpopulation, post apartheid South Africa, education and African wildlife. Details from Ladysmith Information.
The Historic Buildings Trail offers both a short and an extended trail covering the following:
A 1950 Art Moderne substation, the Convent, the Roman Catholic Church, General White's HQ, the Soofie Mosque, the Gandhi Memorial, the railway station, the Indian traders, the 1890 Neizel's Store, the fort, the Court House, the Royal Hotel and the Old Mill.